Manchester Township School District's mission is to forge a strong partnership between the school and community. Through this partnership it will seek to provide high-quality, student-centered education that addresses the needs of the whole person within a healthy, democratic environment. A vital part of the program is the incorporation of the expectation that all students achieve the New Jersey Core Curriculum Standards. Its staff will consist of caring, competent professionals empowered to provide a stimulating, relevant and rewarding academic program to their students.
By means of fostering the self-worth of each student, Manchester Township's graduates will have high expectations for themselves and will become responsible citizens prepared to meet the demands of the twenty-first century. They will develop an appreciation and tolerance for each person's contribution to society.
- Build strong foundations in the early grades.
- High expectations improve performance.
- Students must be active participants in learning.
- Learning should be exciting, purposeful and fun.
- Each student should reach his or her individual potential.
- Children learn best in a secure environment.
- Education involves the whole community.
- Integrity, service, and excellence are core beliefs.
- Respect for different opinions shall be fostered.
- Motivation and pride are important factors in the search for excellence.
- To raise academic expectations and improve student performance.
- To develop in our students creative thinking, risk-taking and problem-solving skills.
- To make it possible for all students to start school ready to learn.
- To foster an atmosphere of teamwork within the classroom, the school and the community.
- To provide the best possible facilities for learning. To maintain a safe and caring school environment.
- To review the possibility of implementing a Total Quality Management approach towards achieving goals and objectives.
- To ensure that the Mission Statement and set of core beliefs are the guiding force in the district's activities.
The Manchester Township School District Curriculum is based upon the following Standards Background Information:
The New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards (NJCCCS) were first adopted by the State Board of Education in 1996. The standards are not curriculum, which is decided at the local level. Rather, the standards describe what students should know and be able to do upon completion of a thirteen-year public school education. The standards are also designed to help teachers prepare students to be college- and career-ready.
Revised every five years, the standards provide local school districts with clear and specific benchmarks for student achievement in nine content areas. Developed by panels of teachers, administrators, parents, students, and representatives from higher education, business, and the community, the standards are influenced by national standards, research-based practice, and student need. The standards define a "Thorough and Efficient Education" as guaranteed in 1875 by the New Jersey Constitution. The most recent review and revision of the standards occurred in 2014 for seven areas. The standards in language arts literacy and math are undergoing a revision process through December 2015.
The New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards include Preschool Teaching and Learning Standards, as well as nine K-12 standards for the following:
- 21st Century Life and Careers
- Comprehensive Health and Physical Education
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts
- World Languages
- Language Arts Literacy
The New Jersey Department of Education's Division of Teaching and Learning has developed new curricular frameworks for English language arts and mathematics for kindergarten through grade twelve. The frameworks are aligned with the newly adopted New Jersey Student Learning Standards for English language arts and mathematics and will replace the model curricula for those subjects.