Next Generation Science Standards
One of our next exciting instructional shifts is related to Science and will focus on the Next Generation Science Standards. This shift will take full effect during the 2017-2018 school year for K-5, but we will begin to analyze the new standards, lessons to address the standards, and resources we have available.
Read to learn more…
There are 7 main Conceptual Shifts in the Next Generation Science Standards
1. Science education should reflect the interconnected nature of Science as it is practiced and experienced in the real world
2. The standards are student performance expectations, not a curriculum
3. Science concepts build coherently K-12
4. Focus on deep understanding and application of content
5. Science and Engineering are integrated
6. They are designed to prepare students for college, career, and citizenship
7. The NGSS and CCSS are aligned!