Helping Hands for Hunger
Help us Provide Thanksgiving Baskets to Our Neighbors in Need
Helping Hands for Hunger is a project of the Peer Leadership Program at Manchester Township High School. Each year, they collect donations to provide Thanksgiving food baskets to local families in need. The baskets contain the makings of a full Thanksgiving feast, including a turkey, stuffing, gravy, vegetables, cranberry sauce, rolls, and a pie. School clubs and teams throughout the district contribute to the drive, along with local businesses and individuals. Students from all of the district's schools pack the baskets in an assembly-line fashion on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Donations of the specific items on the list below may be dropped off at Manchester Township High School. For more information, or if you or someone you know may need a basket, please contact Lisa Vecchione at the High School, 732-657-2121 or email@example.com.
Be on the look out for collection boxes at local businesses and home football games.
Monetary donations are also being accepted so we can shop for fresh items. Make checks payable to 'Manchester Township High School', with 'Helping Hands for Hunger' in the memo section. Drop off or mail to Manchester Township High School HHH, 101 South Colonial Dr., Manchester, NJ 08759.
Update 10/30 - Top Needs
- Monetary Donations
- Cans or jars of Turkey Gravy
- Instant Potatoes (plain) in box or bag
- Cans of Cranberry Sauce - jellied and whole
- 250 Turkeys
- 200 Fresh pineapples
- 600 Medium-large onions
- 200 bags Potatoes 5 lb. bag (Russet) or Instant Potatoes in a box or bag
- 400 bags Carrots 1 lb. bag (small carrots in a bag)
- 200 bunch Bananas (6-8 in bunch)
- 200 dozen Large eggs – 1 dz
- 200 boxes Butter ~ 1 lb. box
- 800 of each Apples (400 red delicious apples, 400 granny smith)
- 200 Pies (apple, pumpkin, lemon meringue, etc.)
- 500 14.5 oz cans of whole green beans
- 500 10.5 oz cans of turkey gravy
- 500 15 oz cans of mixed vegetables or peas
- 500 15 oz of whole kernel; golden sweet corn
- 250 16 oz can of jellied cranberry sauce
- 250 16 oz can of whole berry cranberry sauce
- 500 boxes Pasta; Spaghetti
- 250 boxes Stove Top Turkey Stuffing - Thank you to Tracy Racciopi and Manchester 365 for donating 200 boxes!
- 250 pkgs Dinner rolls
250 Round Laundry Baskets from Dollar Store- no longer needed thanks to the MTHS Science Dept.!